News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy RUSCUS aculeatus
Suggested Further Reading
Other Suggested Plants
Box holly, Butcher's broom, Kneeholly
thick clump-forming small shrub with red berries
- Good to know - British native. Male and female required for berries. Was used for scrubbing butchers' blocks, cleaning chimneys and repelling rats and mice.
- Medicinal Properties - used in the treatment of varicose veins.
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - Europe, northern Africa, northern Turkey, Azores
- Hardy - cold Winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/nothern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - in metres - 75cm (30in)
- Spread - in metres - 1m (3ft)
- Dwarf Shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions. - clump-forming, rhizomatous subshrub with upright, branched shoots.
- Evergreen - what appear to be leaves are flattened stems (cladodes), spine-tipped to 2.5cm (1in) long
- Full Shade
- Full Sun
- No Preference - grow in any but waterlogged soil
- Partial Shade