- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Masterwort
Genus of about 10 species of clump-forming perennials from alpine woods and meadows from Europe to western Asia. One of the many worts (signifies used in food or medicine). The pincushion flowers can be used in dried flower arrangements. A. major is naturalised in a few areas of the UK.
Good to know - known, historically, as 'Hattie's pincushion'
Pests & Diseases - slugs, aphids, powdery mildew.
Place of Origin - Europe to western Asia.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump- forming perennials. Small, 5-petalled flowers surrounded by showy, papery bracts.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video