- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Salt bush
Genus of about 250 species of evergreen or semi-evergreen shrubs, subshrubs, annuals and perennials from saltmarshes, salt flats, coasts and deserts throughout the world. Represented in the UK by the annuals frosted orache, shore orache, spear-leaved orache and common orache which can be eaten boiled as greens. Orache has been used as a foodstuff since the Mesolithic age. Evidence of seeds of common orache have been found in settlements from the Late Iron Age. Sheepmeat from animals grazing on saltbush have higher levels of vitamin E and is leaner earning consumer appeal.
Pests & Diseases - none
Place of Origin - saltmarshes, coasts and deserts worldwide.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil - shelter from cold winds.