- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Himalayan laurel, Japanese laurel
Genus of up to 10 species of tough, easily managed, evergreen, dioecious shrubs from the Himalayas to eastern Asia. The common spotted laurel, japonica was introduced as a glasshouse specimen, a female, in 1783 and known as the "gold plant". In 1861 plant hunter Robert Fortune located a male in Yokohama, brought it back to pollinate and the resultant red-berried shrub, exhibited at Kensington in 1864, caused a sensation.
Good to know - very tolerant of full shade, salt winds, pollution, dry soils. Good for hedges and screens.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - Himalayas to eastern Asia.
Evergreen - dioecious shrubs - male and female plants required for berries. Exception is Rozannie which produces male and female flowers and a good quantity of berries.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Partial Shade - for best variegation
No Preference - will not tolerate boggy or waterlogged soil.
Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.