- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers January 2017
- January Sale
- Valentine's Offers
- All offers and promotions
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £4 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Magnolia 'Sweet Valentine' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Magnolia 'Sweetheart' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £6 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
AZALEA - DECIDUOUS
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - although prone to many pests/diseases, generally trouble free when grown well. Within the Rhododendron family. Shallow planting is essential as all are surface rooting. Mulch annually with leaf mould.
- Pests & Diseases - vine weevil, rhododendron and azalea whiteflies, leafhoppers, lacebugs, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus, rust, leaf gall, petal blight, silver leaf, phytophthora root rot, lime-induced chlorosis (if soil is not sufficiently acid).
- Place of Origin - mainly hybrids with complex origins in Europe, Asia, Australasia, North America, particularly south western China, Tibet, Burma, northern India, New Guinea.
- Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade - will tolerate more open conditions if sheltered from cold, dry winds.
- Acid Loving - pH 4.5-5.5 is the ideal.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - leafy, humus-rich.
Good autumn foliage. All flower MAY-JUL
Buy Varieties of AZALEA - DECIDUOUS
Mixed rich shades of orange, red, rose and yellow flowers. Your choice of colours
Pink with a faint yellow blotch. Highly scented and with us one of the very last of the deciduous azaleas to flower
Compact habit, orange-yellow flowers
White with yellow tinge and pink lobes
Fragrant variety with cream coloured flowers blotched yellow
Reddish-orange with orange-yellow veins
(Rhododendron luteum) - honeysuckle yellow, still the best scented deciduous azalea
Delicate pink flushed white flowers with a sweet fragrance which carries
Flesh-pink mottled deeper pink with a gold flare
Vivid yellow with orange-yellow blotch