- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- February 2018
- February Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne 'Pink Fragrance' - Save £5.00 inc gift wrap and c&p
- Azalea 'Mother's Day' - Save £4.00 inc gift wrap and c&p
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Chaenomeles 'Pink Lady' - Save £4.50 inc gift wrap and c&p
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £4 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Valentine Gifts
- Mother's Day
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Maple
SPECIMEN SIZED VARIETIES OF ACER PALMATUM ARE IN 7.5 OR 10 LITRE POTS AND ARE ALL APPROXIMATELY 4-6 FEET IN HEIGHT.
Genus of 120 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, from woodlands mainly, in Europe, northern Africa, Asia and North and Central America.
Some form large trees and others are understorey plants. The most popular decorative forms are from the palmatum group, Japanese maples which have been cultivated in Japan for centuries and is a well-known temple tree and bonsai subject . They have appeared in art forms for centuries.
Palmatum (hand-like) was the name given by Swedish doctor-botanist Carl Peter Thunberg late in the 18th century, following the ancient Japanese where they were likened to hands of frogs or hands of babies.
The UK representative is the field maple, campestre, a medium-sized tree favouring chalk soils but widely planted. It is a wildlife plant attractive to aphids which are preyed on by ladybirds, hoverflies and birds. Caterpillars eat the leaves and the nectar and pollen in the flowers attract insects as well.
The wood has the highest density of all the European maples and is used for veneers and harps.
Good to know - grown for form and outstanding foliage on some varieties.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, mites, scale insects, caterpillars, Verticillium wilt, leaf scorch, honey fungus.
Place of Origin - Europe, northern Africa, Asia, North and Central America
Full Sun - shelter cultivars of palmatum from cold winds and late frosts.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Clip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video