- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers January 2017
- January Sale
- Valentine's Offers
- All offers and promotions
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £4 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Magnolia 'Sweetheart' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £6 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Magnolia 'Sweet Valentine' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - grown for pea-like, fragrant flowers and bean-like pods. If grown into a tree needs no training. Stems twine anticlockwise around the support.
- Pests & Diseases - aphids, brown scale, leaf spot, honey fungus.
- Place of Origin - China, Korea, Japan, central and southern USA.
- Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging
- Deciduous - pinnate, dark-green leaves to 35cm (14in) long.
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.
All Flower MAY-JUL
Buy Varieties of WISTERIA
(syn. venusta) - a rare Japanese species with silky young foliage and unusually large cream flowers on short racemes. Mid season flowering. An excellent container plant
Densely packed mauve/violet flowers fading to white, strongly scented. Flowering occurs before the leaves appear which makes this new hybrid especially attractive.
Long racemes of scented lilac blue flowers
'(Longissima Alba', 'Snow Showers') - flowers white tinted lilac on the keel
Very floriferous variety with long well-filled racemes of flowers which are purple/mauve and white, lightly tinged with pink. Bright yellow-green foliage
(synonym. W. formosa Issai) - flowers at a young age with mauve-blue flowers as the leaves emerge
Unusually narrow densely packed racemes of blue flowers and large seed pods
All features of this plant are accentuated by the darker colouring of the leaf midribs, stems and blooms. Flowers are predominantly darkish purple contrasting with pale mauve
Long racemes of densely packed pale blue-mauve flowers. A vigorous grower
White flowers edged pink on the wings and keel
Bicoloured form with fragrant flowers lilac tinged purple and white
Long racemes of dark purple flowers with a creamy white blotch. Late season flowerer. Young leaves are bronzy-green
A deep violet-purple double flowered wisteria
An unusual dwarf species which is less vigorous than other wisteria varieties. Reaches only about 10-15 feet in maturity. Compact growth habit makes it ideal for containers and sunny walls. Lilac-blue flowers
Bicoloured, blue and white flowers
Sweetly scented lilac-blue flowers
White form of the Chinese wisteria
Early flowering variety with heavily perfumed light rose/purple flowers blotched yellow
A new introduction from New Zealand with soft bluish violet flowers. This is often sold under the name of W. sinensis 'Prolific'