- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
AZALEA - EVERGREEN
A botanical section within the genus Rhododendron. Further divided into subgroups they commonly bear a profusion of small to large trusses of small single, semi-double or frilled, unscented, trumpet-shaped flowers. Well-grown specimens appear as a solid mound of colour and are breathtaking as massed plantings.
Good to know - although prone to many pests and diseases, when grown well these shrubs are generally trouble-free. The pot azaleas seen at Christmas are Indica hybrids from central and southern China, developed in Belgium. Many evergreen azaleas are particularly effective planted in groups. They are surface-rooting and will not tolerate deep planting.
Pests & Diseases - vine weevil, rhododendron and azalea whiteflies, leafhoppers, lacebugs, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus, rust, leafy gall, petal blight, silver leaf, phytophthora root rot, lime-induced chlorosis(if soil is not sufficiently acid).
Place of Origin - Europe, Asia, Australasia, North America, particularly south western China, Tibet, Burma, northern India, New Guinea.
Dwarf Shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Full Sun - shelter from strong early-morning sun.
Acid Loving - pH 4.5-5.5 is the ideal.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - leafy, humus-rich.