- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Bottlebrush
The bottlebrush flowers can be red, purple, pink, white, green or yellow and well grown specimens can be hard-pruned. In some species the hard seed capsules are released by fire.
Genus of 30 species or more of evergreen tress and shrubs from Australia from moist, open sites and in woodland.
Pests & Diseases - red spider mite, scale insects, mealybugs under glass.
Place of Origin - Australia
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Will grow outside in milder locations - This could include plants which would survive happily in a greenhouse or conservatory if not in a mild location. If you have a sheltered spot in your garden then it may do well here.
Height - to 5m (15ft)
Spread - 2.5m (8ft)
Tall Shrub - or small tree with abundant, intense red flowers.
Against a wall - an excellent plant for a sun-trap site.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil
to 5m (15ft)