- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
AZALEA - DECIDUOUS
A botanical section within the genus Rhododendron.
They have smaller, thinner leaves than evergreen rhododendrons and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller flowers that usually have 5 stamens whereas rhododendrons have 10.
Further divided into subgroups they commonly bear a profusion of small to large trusses of funnel-shaped flowers, some pleasantly scented. Most provide colour in reds, oranges and yellows at leaf-fall and they can be pruned to keep them in check.
Contains R. luteum, still known by the old name Azalea ponticum, possibly the most wonderfully scented of all but invasive and should be confined within the garden boundary.
Pests & Diseases - see header AZALEA - DECIDUOUS
Place of Origin - eastern North America. An A. viscosum (Swamp honeysuckle) hybrid.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Height - 1.5m (5ft)
Spread - 1.5m (5ft)
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - slow-growing form with upright open habit.