- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- NEW - Light weight garden pots & planters
- Non-Herbaceous Sale
- Flowering & Top Sellers September 2016
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2016
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
False dittany, Shrubby horehound
Information - click to expand & read
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - Europe, western Asia.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - in metres - 45cm (18in)
- Spread - in metres - 60cm (24in)
- Evergreen - furry, yellowish grey-green leaves to 3cm (1¼in) long.
- Ground Cover - These plants are typically low growing and spread quickly to inhibit weed growth on areas of bare soil - mound-forming subshrub with sparsely branched, erect, woody-based stems. Produces 2-lipped flowers 1.5cm (½in) long with open, funnel-shaped, pale green calyces 2cm (¾in) wide.
- Full Sun
- well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil
Grey-green foliage, pink flowers
Other Suggested Plants
PITTOSPORUM tenuifolium 'Tom Thumb'
Parchment bark, Kohuhu
Available from £13.00
Available from £9.50
ASTELIA chathamica 'Silver Spear'
Available from £13.50
Available from £11.50