- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Dragon arum, Dragon-root
Genus of about 170 species of spring- or summer-flowering rhizomatous or tuberous perennials. Species in cultivation are mainly from the Himalayas, China, Japan and North America. Usually called cobra lilies in eastern countries and Jack in the pulpit in the west. Jack is the erect central spadix and the spathe is the pulpit. Unusually, arisaemas are male when small and hermaphrodite or female when large and sometimes change.
Good to know - related to the native Lords and Ladies (arum maculatum). Good for woodland setting.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, vine weevils.
Place of Origin - Himalayas, China, Japan, North America.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Tuberous - or rhizomatous perennials. The hooded part is the spathe, the spike the spadix.
Partial Shade - thrives in a cool, shady site.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Neutral to acid soil
Caution, toxic if eaten, may cause skin allergy or irritant - These plants are toxic if eaten and may also cause a skin allergy, rash, irritation to eyes and skin.