- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Plants on Sale
- Flowering & Top Sellers September 2015
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2015
- Burncoose Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Log In / Register
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
History: Home >
BAMBOO Phyllostachys nigra
Graceful arching habit, canes green at first becoming mottled dark brown or black. Prefers a sunny position
Buy BAMBOO Phyllostachys nigra
- Good to know - green-brown stems will become black from second or third year, resembling polished ebony.
- Place of Origin - eastern and central China.
- Hardy - cold Winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/nothern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - in metres - 2.5 - 3.5m (8-10ft)
- Spread - in metres - 2m (6ft)
- Bamboo - clump-forming bamboo with slender, arching stems. Creamy shoots emerge late May, at first green, turning black through the summer.
- Evergreen - lance-shaped, dark-green leaves 4-13cm (1½-5in) long.
- Tall Shrub
- Full Sun
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Rootgrow - Large - 360g
(360gram sachet - inc c&p) £12.00
Rootgrow - Medium - 150g
(150gram sachet - inc c&p) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 0.9 kg
(0.9 kg - c&p inc) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 2.5 kg
(2.5 kg - c&p inc) £10.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 4.5 kg
(4.5 kg - c&p inc) £16.00
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought BAMBOO Phyllostachys nigra also bought these...