- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
BAMBOO Phyllostachys nigra
Commonly known as: Black bamboo.
Graceful arching habit, canes green at first becoming mottled dark brown or black. Prefers a sunny position
|2.5 - 3.5m (8-10ft)|
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - green-brown stems will become black from second or third year, resembling polished ebony.
- Place of Origin - eastern and central China.
- Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - 2.5 - 3.5m (8-10ft)
- Spread - 2m (6ft)
- Bamboo - clump-forming bamboo with slender, arching stems. Creamy shoots emerge late May, at first green, turning black through the summer.
- Evergreen - lance-shaped, dark-green leaves 4-13cm (1½-5in) long.
- Tall Shrub
- Full Sun
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
BAMBOO Phyllostachys aurea
Fishpole bamboo, Golden bamboo
Available from £35.00
False castor oil plant
Available from £13.50
HARDY FERNS Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata the King'
Golden male fern
Available from £12.50
LAVANDULA angustifolia 'Arctic Snow'
Available from £6.50