- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Genus of 2 species of evergreen shrubs or small trees from scrub and woodland in in temperate South America. They are closely related to myrtles, having more aromatic leaves. They thrive in coastal areas with warm summers, have attractive bark, flowers and sweet, edible fruit. The large amounts of pollen attract bees.
Good to know - closely related to Myrtus but have more aromatic leaves and flowers have 5 rather than 4 sepals and petals. Berries contain 4-6 hard, woody seeds. Grown for attractive bark, foliage and fragrant flowers.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - South America.
Evergreen - opposite, oval or lance-shaped, leathery, dark-green leaves.
Full Sun - shelter from cold, drying winds.
Partial Shade - light, dappled shade.
Fertile moist well-drained soil