- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers March 2017
- March Sale
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
CEANOTHUS thyrsiflorus var repens
Commonly known as: California lilac, Creeping blueblossom, Redroot.
Vigorous low spreading habit and terminal clusters of light or darker blue flowers. Ideal for growing on a bank or in coastal conditions
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - wildlife plant - insects, butterflies.
- Pests & Diseases - honey fungus.
- Place of Origin - USA (coastal northern California).
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - 1m (36in)
- Spread - 2.5m (8ft)
- Dwarf Shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions. - flowers in lateral and terminal panicles.
- Evergreen - glossy, mid-green leaves to 4cm (1½in) long.
- Ground Cover - These plants are typically low growing and spread quickly to inhibit weed growth on areas of bare soil
- Full Sun - with shelter from cold winds. Most do well trained against a wall.
- Partial Shade
- fertile well drained soil
- No Preference - can be lime tolerant but leaves may become chlorotic on shallow chalk soils.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5
2ply sisal garden twine - 250 grams
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
Creeping dogwood, Bunchberry
Available from £12.50
Available from £11.50
HEBE pinguifolia 'Pagei'
Available from £9.50
POTENTILLA fruticosa 'Abbotswood'
Shrubby cinquefoil, Buttercup shrub
Available from £12.00