News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy CAMELLIA 'Apollo'
Suggested Further Reading
Other Suggested Plants
Japonica. Semi-double glowing red, sometimes blotched white.
- Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevils, leaf spot.
- Place of Origin - garden origin. UK. William Paul.
- japonica - The best known of all the camellias, Japanese Camellia (Camellia japonica)
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - in metres - to 9m (28ft)
- Spread - in metres - to 8m (25ft)
- Tall Shrub - spreading shrub. Produces miniature flowers to 6cm (2½in) across.
- Partial Shade
- Acid Loving
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Rounded to broadly columnar
- Rounded to broadly spreading
- Flower Colour - Red - glowing red.
- Flower Shape - Semi-double - Two rows of petals with conspicuous stamens