- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of 20-25 species of evergreen, often spiny, trees and shrubs from open forest, thickets and scrub in southeastern Asia and the larger islands in the eastern Pacific.
There are many complex hybrids.
Though not originating in the Mediterranean the soil and climate here provides for better growing conditions and superior fruit.
Pests & Diseases - under glass - red spider mite, scale, whiteflies, mealybug.
Place of Origin - southeastern Asia, South Pacific.
Evergreen - trees and shrubs
Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit
Greenhouse or Conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter - loam based potting compost, full light, shade from hot sun.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil - to slightly acid.