- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Virgin's bower
Showy, sometimes possibly too showy, long-flowering climbers with variety of shape and colour for all the year.
Genus of more than 200 species of deciduous, twining leaf-climbers, scandent shrubs, subshrubs and sometimes woody-based herbaceous perennials from Europe, the Himalayas, China, Australasia, North America and Central America.
More than 400 cultivars are in cultivation.
Native perennial Traveller's Joy or Old Man's Beard (C. vitalba) is a plant of hedgerows and wood edges whose climbing stems can reach to 30m.
Good to know - C. viticella and the small-flowering varieties are resistant to clematis wilt.
Pests & Diseases - cutworms, aphids attack young plants, whiteflies under glass. Clematis wilt.
Place of Origin - northern and southern hemispheres including Europe, Himalayas, China, Australasia, North and Central America.
Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging - attach to supports by means of leaf stalks.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - perennials.
Full Sun - provide shade for roots and base of plant. Herbaceous varieties require full sun.
fertile well drained soil - humus-rich. Mulch in late winter.
- Pruning Group 1 - Flowering mid / late spring
- Pruning Group 2 - Flowering late spring / early summer
- Pruning Group 3 - Flowering late summer / early autumn
- Training Climbers - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video