- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- July 2018
- Non-Herbaceous Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - 3 for £39.00
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - £17.00 each saving £5
- The Ready-Made Yellow flowering Border
- Herbaceous summer special - Any 3 for £21.00 saving up to £22.00
- Herbaceous summer special - £7.50 for single plants saving up to £7.50
- The Cornish Coastal Collection
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Chocolate vine
Genus of about 5 species of deciduous or semi-evergreen twining climbers from forest margins in eastern Asia.
The common name comes from the vanilla/chocolate spicy scent.
It has become naturalised in the eastern USA and is hardy in milder parts of the UK
Good to know - require warm springs and long, hot summers to fruit well.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - eastern Asia.
Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging - twining habit. Produces unusual sausage-shaped, fleshy, purple fruits.
Deciduous - or semi evergreen.
Against a wall - or into tree or over pergola.
Fertile moist well-drained soil