- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- September 2018
- September Sale - 20% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Sowbread
Genus of 24 species of tuberous perennials found in habitats ranging from alpine woodland and damp woods to dry sands and maquis from the Mediterranean east to Iran and south to Somalia.
Flowers can be produced at almost any time of year depending on the species. The most commonly available are C. coum which is winter flowering and C. hederifolium which blooms in summer and autumn.
Pests & Diseases - mice and squirrels. Vine weevil, cyclamen mite, grey mould.
Place of Origin - Mediterranean, Iran, Somalia
Alpine or Rock Plant - These plants prefer well drained soil and are generally dwarf in habit.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Tuberous - tuberous perennials. Rounded to heart-shaped leaves sometimes toothed or lobed. Leaves can be silver-zoned or have light and dark patches on the upper surface. Purplish-red beneath
Scented flowers - some fragrant.
fertile well drained soil - moderately fertile. Humus-rich. Mulch annually with leaf mould.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video