- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Imposing, architectural, edible (in parts), decorative dried and a valuable wildlife plant. Scolymus Group are the vegetable Globe Artichoke.
Genus of about 8 species of clump-forming perennials from well-drained, sunny slopes and grassland in the Mediterranean region, northwestern Africa and the Canary Islands.
Good to know - wildlife plant - bees. For best foliage effect remove flowering stems as they appear.
Medicinal Properties - widely used in gastronomy.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, aphids, grey mould.
Place of Origin - Mediterranean, northwestern Africa, Canary Islands.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump forming thistle-like perennials. Imposing plants with silvery leaves and tall, spherical flowerheads.
Full Sun - shelter from strong winds
fertile well drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video