News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy DICKSONIA antarctica
- Design your own garden - The bog or water garden >
- Greenhouse and Conservatory – Plants suitable only for the Greenhouse or Conservatory - Shrubs / Bulbs >
- Plants for specific locations - Damp Areas Beside Water – Bog Plants >
- Plants for specific locations - Woodland Gardens – Woodland Plants >
- Plants for specific types of garden - Architectural Plants >
- Plants with particular characteristics - Ferns >
- Plants with particular characteristics - Specimen plants >
- Plants beginning with 'D' >
Suggested Further Reading
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought DICKSONIA antarctica also bought these...
Man fern, Soft tree fern
This attractive architectural plant thrives in cool moist shaded woodland
- Good to know - plants under 1.2m (4ft) require management for protection. See link on DICKSONIA page.
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - eastern Australia, Tasmania.
- Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or googd microclimate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
- Height - in metres - 6m (20ft) though very slow growing.
- Spread - in metres - 4m (12ft)
- Evergreen - large, dark-green, roughly-textured fronds.
- Fern - single-stemmed tree fern.
- Tall Shrub
- Full Shade
- Partial Shade - thrives in filtered sunlight.
- Acid Loving
- No Preference - but humus-rich.