- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: (Polygonum) - Knotweed.
Genus of about 150 annuals and perennials. They may be evergreen, semi-evergreen or deciduous and many spread by stolons leading to a spreading habit which can be invasive. This habit and their commonly used name knotweed can give cause for concern but used wisely they are worthy performers. They are found in a variety of habitats worldwide and most have long-lasting spikes of flowers followed by distinctive 3-angled or ovoid fruits.
- Good to know - poker type flowers. Some have attractive autumn colour. Some are invasive. Wildlife plant - insects.
- Pests & Diseases - generally trouble-free.
- Place of Origin - various habitats around the world.
- Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - will tolerate any moist soil
- May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
- Flower Colour - Red
- Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red)