- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Giant reed, Indian grass
Genus of 2 or 3 species of evergreen, rhizomatous, perennial grasses fro ditches and riversides from warm-temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. As with most giant canes or grasses much use has been made historically. Donax is used for the manufacture of reeds for woodwind instruments. It was used by Egyptians for wrapping the dead and has been used for roofing, the high silica content making it durable. It is also a candidate for use as biofuel though its invasiveness causes problems.
Good to know - for best foliage cut back to base each year. For flowers cut back stems after second year.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - warm-temperate regions of northern hemisphere.
Evergreen - thick reed-like stems and terminal, feathery flower panicles.
Ornamental Grasses - grown for its bamboo-like foliage.
Full Sun - protect from strong winds
No Preference - thrives in moist conditions.