- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
AZALEA - DECIDUOUS
A botanical section within the genus Rhododendron. Further divided into subgroups they commonly bear a profusion of small to large trusses of funnel-shaped flowers, some pleasantly scented. Most provide colour in reds, oranges and yellows at leaf-fall and they can be pruned to keep them in check. Contains R. luteum, still known by the old name Azalea ponticum, possibly the most wonderfully scented of all but invasive and should be confined within the garden boundary.
Good to know - although prone to many pests/diseases, generally trouble free when grown well. Within the Rhododendron family. Shallow planting is essential as all are surface rooting. Mulch annually with leaf mould.
Pests & Diseases - vine weevil, rhododendron and azalea whiteflies, leafhoppers, lacebugs, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus, rust, leaf gall, petal blight, silver leaf, phytophthora root rot, lime-induced chlorosis (if soil is not sufficiently acid).
Place of Origin - mainly hybrids with complex origins in Europe, Asia, Australasia, North America, particularly south western China, Tibet, Burma, northern India, New Guinea.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Partial Shade - will tolerate more open conditions if sheltered from cold, dry winds.
Acid Loving - pH 4.5-5.5 is the ideal.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - leafy, humus-rich.