- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Bamboo, a sub family of the grass family is found mainly in warm and moist tropical and warm temperate climates. It contains some of the fastest-growing plants on Earth, 36ins in 24 hours, though growth in temperate regions is more like 3-10cms (1.2-3.9ins) per day.
Unlike all trees, individual bamboo culms emerge at their full diameter and grow to their full height in a single growing season of 3-4 months. As the clump matures thicker and taller culms emerge each year until the plant reaches its characteristic limit.
Most bamboo species flower infrequently, at intervals as long as 60 or 120 years, These exhibit mass (or gregarious) flowering and any plant derived from the same stock will flower wherever it is located. After flowering the plant dies.
Good to know - highly symbolic plants from China and Japanese courtyard and temple gardens. Bamboo symbolises vigour and the canes, forest. The texture of canes, leaf striations, attractive new growth (culms) and the sound and movement in wind all add to its attraction.
Pests & Diseases - emerging shoots are vulnerable to slugs.
Place of Origin - tropical and sub-tropical Asia, tropical America, Africa and northern Australia.
Greenhouse or Conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter - in frost-prone climates grow in a temperate greenhouse.
Partial Shade - requires a sheltered location.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.