- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Barberry
Genus of about 450 evergreen and deciduous shrubs from all parts of the northern hemishere, northern and tropical Africa and South America differing widely in form and habit from dwarf species to large garden or hedging shrubs and usually with spiny branches or spine-tipped leaves. Barberry fruit, rich in vitamin C was used in the past to make jellies, jams and pickles. B. vulgaris is naturalised in the UK.
Good to know - wildlife plant - birds. Vicious spines make impenetrable hedges. Plant under a bird table to keep cats at bay. Trim hedges after flowering.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, powdery mildew.
Place of Origin - all parts of the northern hemisphere, northern and tropical Africa, South America.
Deciduous - and evergreen shrubs grown for ornamental leaves, autumn foliage, yellow-orange flowers and red or blue-black berries.
Dwarf Shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Full Sun - fruiting and autumn colour are better in full sun.