- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- December 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £8 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne odora f. alba delivered and giftwrapped for £45.00 saving £9.50
- Camellia x vernalis Yuletide 3 year old plant for £40.00 inc giftwrap, c&p, save £9.50
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' giftwrapped & delivered for £29.50 saving £6.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
The coastal or windswept garden
A great deal of effort, cost and ultimate disappointment awaits those who do not properly research plants which will tolerate extremes of wind and salt sprays. One of Burncoose's specialities is in selecting plants which will tolerate coastal conditions.
We can readily offer fuller plant lists depending on exactly how close your garden is to the shoreline or how exposed it is to westerly gales in hilly or mountainous locations. Near the coast in hot, dry and sandy soil conditions some more tender plants will survive and prosper but, at higher colder altitudes, the choices can be more limited.
If in doubt select your own plant list and ask us to comment on its suitability preferably with an emailed picture or two of your garden.