- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Aristotelia - Growing Guide
Growing Aristotelia chinensis
This is an evergreen shrub from Chile which grows with us on a steep bank where its attractive dark green ovate leaves and flowers can be appreciated.
This species of Aristotelia is perfectly hardy but the species originating from Australia and New Zealand are not. Even so wind protection is advisable. Our plant was defoliated in the March 2018 cold winds but quickly regrew a fresh crop of leaves.
Male and female plants are needed for the females to produce their small spherical fruits which are purple, then black, when fully ripe. The flowers are greenish-white and appear in large clusters on the leaf axils all along last year’s new growth stems.
This shrub grows with us to around 10ft and can readily be rejuvenated by cutting it back to near ground level in early spring.
(Still needs images)