Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
CORNUS controversa 'Variegata'
Commonly known as Giant dogwood, Wedding cake tree
Striking and very scarce slow growing variegated form with horizontal branching
- Gift Ideas: Silver Wedding Plants
- Gift Ideas: Wedding Gifts
- Green Combo's: Combo 156
- Plants with particular characteristics: Specimen plants
- Purple and Blue Combo's: Combo 163
- Trees: Small Trees
- Variegated Foliage: Silver
- Plants beginning with 'C'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Deciduous - elliptic leaves to 15cm (6in) long turn yellow in autumn.
Height - 8m (26ft)
Spread - to 8m (26ft)
Tree - rounded tree with tiered branches. White flowers in flat heads to 18cm (7in) across followed by blue-black berries.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - shelter from cold winds
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - anthracnose.
Place of origin - China, Himalayas, Japan.
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Leaf colour (if not green) - Silver variegated
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading
Cornus - Growing Guide
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 8m (26ft)
CORNUS alternifolia 'Argentea'
Green osier, Pagoda dogwood
Available from £27.50
CORNUS florida 'Cherokee Chief'
Flowering dogwood, American boxwood
Available from £55.00
CORNUS sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'
Common dogwood, Dogberry
Available from £13.50
CORNUS kousa var chinensis 'China Girl'
Available from £45.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5