- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as American boxwood, Flowering dogwood
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Broadly oval to ovate, mid-green leaves to 15cm (6in) long turning red or purple in autumn.
Sometimes flushed pink
Or small tree. Greenish flowers. White to pink bracts, 4-5cm (1½ - 2in) long are joined at the tips as they open. Clusters of red berries are produced in autumn.
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
shelter from cold winds.
Good to know - flowers are small and inconspicuous but the surrounding bracts in shades from pink-tinged white through to an alomost true red provide the attraction and a host of cultivars have been developed.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
eastern North America.
Entire see photos above
Ovate see photos above
Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Fertile well drained soil - humus rich.
Neutral to acid soil
- Maintenance - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus kousa 'Satomi' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus kousa ‘Doubloon’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CORNUS florida
New growth is a burgundy-red turning dark green with age. Flowers are pinkish-red darkening as they mature
(syn. 'royal red') - foliage scarlet-red in spring and autumn, bronzy green in summer. Bracts deep ruby pink.
Large snowy-white bracts. Free-flowering even when young
A startling new variety, bright green leaves margined in creamy-white. In the autumn the creamy-white parts of the leaves turn pink to deep red
Compact shrub with deep green leaves splashed yellow. Autumn colours pass from pink, lavender-blue and finally purple-red
Large deep pink bracts tipped with white
Flushed pink or red