- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Cornel, Cornelian cherry
dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long turning red-purple in autumn.
Vigorous, spreading shrub or small tree. Fleshy, oblong, red fruit is produced in summer.
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Shelter from cold winds.
Good to know - planted in Britain since the 16th century or before, probably for the edible fruits which were made into preserves. Wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Europe and western Asia.
Entire see photos above
Ovate see photos above
Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Fertile well drained soil - humus rich.
Neutral to acid soil
Rounded to broadly spreading
- Maintenance - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus kousa 'Satomi' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus kousa ‘Doubloon’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CORNUS mas
Leaves suffused a delicate yellow especially in spring, fading later
A very rare variegated form with leaves that appear more white than green