- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
DeciduousCherry-like leaves (hence 'Prunifolia'), glossy, deep green to 8cm (3in) which turn orange and red in autumn.
TreeRounded tree with stout thorns. Bright red fruit in autumn.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
CRATAEGUS persimilis 'Prunifolia'
Additional FeaturesBerriesThese plants have berries.Good to knowUltimate size in 20-50 years. Wildlife plant - bees and other insects.Pests & DiseasesCaterpillars, aphids, gall midges, fireblight. honey fungus, rust, powdery mildew.Place of originAn 18th century selection from a North American thorn.
Garden Location/ConditionsCoastal / windsweptTolerant of full exposure to sea windsSuitable for small gardens
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented PlantsScented flowersHeavy scent best appreciated from a distance.
Soil ConditionsTolerates allAny soil except waterlogged.
Tree ShapeRounded to broadly spreading
WildlifeBee friendlyBird friendly
- Crataegus - Growing Guide
- C. schraderiana, ellwangeriana, combyi & aprica - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video