- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Montbretia
Well-known hybrids from mainly C. crocosmiiflora (Montbretia) and C. masoniorum.
Genus of 8 species of clump-forming, cormous perennials from grassland in South Africa.
The robust, invasive crocosmiiflora was developed in France and introduced to the UK in 1880. By 1911 it had become a garden escapee and has proliferated ever since. It can completely dominate a habitat to the exclusion of native plants and is listed on Schedule 9 of the Widlife and Countryside Act of 1981 making it an offence to cause it to grow in the wild.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennialClump-forming cormous perennial. Intensely bronzed leaves. Produces flowers 2.5cm (1in) across
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesPests & DiseasesRed spider mites occasionallyPlace of originSouth Africa
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilModerately fertile. Humus-rich.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CROCOSMIA
deep orange with mahogany throat
large yellowish-orange flowers red buds
prolific yellow flowers with cream throats
coral coloured flowers and long blooming period
tall deep red
large peachy-orange flowers, long blooming
arching sprays of rich golden-yellow flowers