emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Dove tree, Ghost tree, Handkerchief tree
Deciduous - broadly oval, sharp-pointed, toothed, red-stalked leaves to 16cm (6in) long. Leaves are mid-green above and softly hairy beneath.
Height - 15m (49ft)
Spread - 10m (33ft)
Tree - produces dense, pendent heads, to 2cm (¾in) across, of small male flowers with purple-red anthers. Each flower is surrounded by a pair of white bracts of unequal size. The hanging ridged fruit are 4cm (1½in) across.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - shelter from cold winds.
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - none.
Place of origin - southwestern China. Introduced into the UK by Ernest Wilson (1876-1930) in 1901.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
Tree Shape - Broadly conical -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video