emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Globe thistle
Architectural plants carrying spheres of bristly bracts for large borders and the wildlife-conscious.
Genus of about 120 species of annuals, biennials and perennials found on hot gravelly slopes and in dry grassland from central and southern Europe to central Asia, India and the mountains of tropical Africa.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals, biennials and perennials
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant - bees, butterflies, birds (finches eat the seeds).
Pests & Diseases - aphids
Place of origin - central and southern Europe to central Asia, India and mountains of tropical Africa.
Soil Conditions - Well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil - - - but tolerant of almost any soil.
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Growing Echinops bannaticus – Globe Thistle
- Supporting plants with link-stakes
- Drying Echinops for winter display - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video