Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Tree echium
- Chelsea Flower Show 2015 - Endangered Plants: Endangered
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016: Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017: Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Poisonous Plants
- Best Sellers
- Plants beginning with 'E'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Evergreen - bristly, elliptic-lance-shaped , silver-hairy leaves to 7cm (3in) long
Blue - purplish blue
Height - 4m (13ft)
Spread - 90cm (36in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rosette forming biennial or short lived perennial. Each rosette produces a spike 1.5-4m (5-12ft) long of funnel-shaped flowers with large bracts
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouse - Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F)
Partial shade - can tolerate light shade.
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Additional Features - Architectural interest
Endangered in the wild - These plants are listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's list of 'Red Plants'. This is a list of threatened species in the wild, they are either critically, endangered or vulnerable to extinction. - Endangered
Good to know - dramatic, fast-growing, tall spikes from second year. Will self-seed. Attractive to insects.
Pests & Diseases - slugs. Under glass, whiteflies, red spider mites
Place of origin - Canary Islands.
Flower Shape - Spikes
Hardiness - Half hardy (down to 0)
Seasonal Interest - Summer
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly
Echium - Growing Guide
- Growing Echium candicans (E. fastuosum)
- Echium pininana - Video Tip ondemand_video
- From seedling to mature plant - Video Tip ondemand_video
Herbaceous Plants - Video Collection
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ECHIUM pininana
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.