- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenInversely lance-shaped, sharp-pointed, strongly-veined, dark green leaves to 30cm (12in) long.
TreeVigorous, spreading shrub or small tree. Flowers are produced from autumn to winter, possibly followed by fruit in spring.
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sunSheltered position.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesMedicinal propertiesLeaves are widely used in the Far East in cough remedies. The commercial loquat.Pests & DiseasesUnder glass mealybugs and leaf blight.Place of originChina, Japan.Resistant to honey fungusThese plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower ShapePaniclesSmall, 5-petalled flowers in pyramidal panicles
Garden Location/ConditionsPatio / pot plants
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
Tree ShapeRounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video