emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Japanese loquat, Loquat
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - lance-shaped, sharp-pointed. strongly-veined dark green leaves to 30cm (12in) long.
Height - 7-8m (22-26ft)
Spread - 7-8m (22-26ft)
Tree - vigorous, spreading shrub or small tree. Flowers are produced from autumn to winter, possibly followed by fruit in spring.
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Full sun - sheltered position.
Additional Features - Medicinal properties - - leaves are widely used in the Far East in cough remedies. The commercial loquat.
Pests & Diseases - under glass mealybugs and leaf blight.
Place of origin - China, Japan.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower Shape - Panicles - - small, 5-petalled flowers in pyramidal panicles
Garden Location/Conditions - Patio / pot plants -
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video