- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Cushion spurge, Wolf's milk
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Herbaceous Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Clump forming perennial. Robust, softly-hairy stems. Oval to elliptic, dark-green leaves 3.5-5cm (1½-2in) long, sometimes purple-tinged. Long-lasting flowers in terminal cymes 4-8cm (1½-3in) across.
Hardy - average winter Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Caution, toxic if eaten, may cause skin allergy or irritant These plants are toxic if eaten and may also cause a skin allergy, rash, irritation to eyes and skin.
Good to know - wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects.
Pests & Diseases
aphids, grey mould.
Place of origin
central and southern Europe, Turkey.
Frost hardy (down to -5)
Pruning group 4
Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil
- Growing & Caring for Euphorbia
- Evergreen pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading in June - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video