emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
FAGUS sylvatica 'Rohanii'
Commonly known as Purple fern-leaf beech
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - oval, wavy-margined, deeply cut leaves to 10cm (4in) long
Height - 15-20m (49-70ft)
Spread - 15m (49ft)
Tree - dense, pyramidal crown and ascending branches
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sun - for best colour
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - aphids, bark scales, powdery mildew, beech bark disease, fungi.
Place of origin - central Europe to Caucasus
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf Colour (if not green) - Purple - - bronze-purple in spring, red-purple in summer, orange-brown in autumn
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Tolerates all - - tolerant of a wide range of well drained soils including chalk.
Tree Shape - Broadly conical -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video