Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
ABUTILON 'Ashford Red'
Commonly known as Chinese lantern, Flowering maple, Parlour maple
Good to know - can flower all through winter in a conservatory.
Pests & Diseases - whiteflies, red spider mites, mealybugs, scale insects (particularly in greenhouse).
Place of Origin - garden origin.
Heated greenhouse - warm temperate - Can be grown outside in summer. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 5°C (41°F)
Height - 3m (10ft)
Spread - 3m (10ft)
Evergreen - to semi evergreen. Broadly ovate to rounded, 3- to 5-lobed, pale to mid-green leaves 10-20cm (4-8in) long.
Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.
Tall Shrub - erect to spreading shrub or small tree. Produces nodding to pendent, bell-shaped flowers 6-8cm (2½-3in) long.
Greenhouse or Conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter - use loam-based compost (JI No. 2) and provide plenty of light
fertile well drained soil
Shrubs - Care Guide
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Vermin & Pest Control
SB Plant Invigorator
This is a non-biological non-chemical plant insecticide and mildewcide. Works against the physical motion of the insect. Perfect for all plants and edible crops.
2ply sisal garden twine - 250 grams
Natural garden twine, 500 grams, 350 metres. Ideal in the garden or the home.