emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Chile rhubarb, Giant prickly rhubarb
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Height - 2.5m (8ft)
Spread - 3-4m (10-13ft) or more.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - very large clump forming perennial. Rounded to kidney-shaped, palmately-lobed, sharply-toothed, dark-green leaves to 2m (6ft) long on prickly stalks to 2.5m (8ft) long. Tiny, greenish flowers in conical panicles to 1m (3ft) or more tall in early summer followed by small, spherical, red-green fruit.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sun - shelter from cold drying winds. Protect crowns in frost prone areas.
Additional Features - Good to know - - invasive. Should never be allowed to escape into the wild.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails.
Place of origin - Colombia to Brazil
Garden Location/Conditions - Bog garden -
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Wet or boggy soil - - or deep, permanently moist, humus- rich soil.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
3-4m (10-13ft) or more.