- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Japanese forest grass
One species only in this genus and its variegated cultivars are without doubt among the most attractive ornamental grasses suiting a variety of sites.
Clump-forming perennial grass from wooded and often mountainous areas of Japan.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Ornamental grassesSmall, clump-forming grass with narrow, arching, lance-shaped leaves, flushed red in autumn and early winter. Pale green needle-like flower spikes in late summer and autumn.
Very hardyHardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Partial shadeFor best leaf colour
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowForms eye-catching, cascading hummocks. Makes a choice container plant.Pests & DiseasesNonePlace of originJapan.
Leaf Colour (if not green)Gold variegated
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilhumus-rich.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of HAKONECHLOA
delicate golden yellow foliage forming a low mound. Best in semi-shade with some sun
hummocks of vividly striped yellow and green foliage. Vibrant in a courtyard setting or to edge a shrub border
yellow foliage developing crimson tips. Super pot plant