emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
HARDY FERNS Blechnum spicant
Commonly known as Deer fern, Hard fern
Evergreen - narrowly lance-shaped, pinnate sterile fronds 20-50cm (8-20in) long.
Height - 20-50cm (8-20in)
Spread - 60cm (24in)
Fern - short, creeping rhizomes. The sterile fronds spread semi-horizontally to form a rosette around the taller, fertile fronds 30-60cm (12-24in) tall.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - none
Place of origin - Europe, northern Asia, North America.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving -
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
- Growing & Caring for Ferns
- ADIANTUM Ferns
- ASPLENIUM Ferns
- ATHRIUM Ferns
- BLECHNUM Ferns
- DRYOPTERIS Ferns
- MATTEUCCIA Ferns
- OSMUNDA Ferns
- POLYSTICHUM Ferns
- Tidying Deciduous Ferns for Winter
- Caring for ferns - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tidying Ferns - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How do ferns reproduce - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Gymnosperms and angiosperms - Video Tip ondemand_video