- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Evergreen Sale 25% off
- Seasonal Sale 20% off
- Camellia 'Yuletide' Save £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose'
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess'
- Camellia - Save £12.00
- Camellia - Save £5.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Ready Made Borders
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2023
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
DeciduousPalmately 5-lobed or 7-lobed, glossy, mid-green leaves to 15cm (6in) across turning orange, red and purple in autumn.
TreeYoung shoots often have corky wings.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sunFor best autumn colour.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesMedicinal propertiesPests & DiseasesNone.Place of originEastern USA, Mexico.
Garden Location/ConditionsWoodland garden
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilNeutral to acid soil
Tree ShapeBroadly conical
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of LIQUIDAMBAR styraciflua
new leaves emerge pale yellow in spring, changing to green in summer and turning red in autumn. Golden-yellow stems
fastigiate habit with spectacular autumn colour in hues of orange through red to purple
long narrow lobes to the leaves which turn yellow and orange in the autumn. Occasionally produces fruit which other varieties do not in the UK