- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- December 2018
- November Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Daphne odora f. alba delivered and giftwrapped for £45.00 saving £9.50
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £8 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Camellia x vernalis Yuletide 3 year old plant for £40.00 inc giftwrap, c&p, save £9.50
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' giftwrapped & delivered for £29.50 saving £6.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Lupin
FAMILIAR pea-like flowers in a myriad of colours, yellow, blue or white in the tree lupins and all colours, including bicolours, in the perennials.
Genus of about 200 species of annuals, perennials and semi-evergreen and evergreen subshrubs or shrubs. They are found widely distributed in dry, hilly grassland and open woodland on coastal sands or cliffs and on riverbanks in the Mediterranean, northern Africa and North, Central and South America.
Seeds from various species have been used as human and animal feed for thousands of years. With similar protein levels to soybeans, with less fat, gluten-free and packed with antioxidants lupin has great potential.
Like other legumes they fix nitrogen in the soil and can be used for enrichment.
Good to know - grown for the spikes of pea-like flowers in many colours.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, gall, mildew, leaf spot, virus, fungal and bacterial rot.
Place of Origin - Mediterranean, N. Africa, the Americas.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals and perennials.
Free draining sandy soil - light and moderately fertile.
Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video