emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Bull bay, Loblolly magnolia
MAGNOLIAS, named after the French botanist Pierre Magnol, are an ancient genus and it is thought that pollination was by beetles as the trees appeared before bees. Fossilised remains from the family are 95 million years old.
The main centre of distribution is eastern and southeastern Asia with a secondary centre in eastern North America, Central America, the West Indies and South America.
LARGE and SPECIMEN sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants. Many are also very rare.
LARGE plants are 2-3 year old grafts and SPECIMEN plants 3-5 year old grafts.
Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a LARGE or a SPECIMEN plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age and also on time of year, since Magnolias can grow very quickly.
Many more magnolia pictures can be found on the Caerhays Website and The Garden Diary.
- Magnolia - Care Guide
- Magnolia - Hybridisation
- Magnolia - Propagation
- Magnolia - Spotlight Videos
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
- Trees - Care Guide
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - broad, slightly twisted leaves to 20cm (8in) long.
Height - 10m (33ft)
Spread - 10m (33ft)
Tree - dense tree
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Good to know - flowers over a long period, sometimes into November, though individual flowers are short-lived.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects.honey fungus, coral spot.
Place of origin - Caledonia Nurseries, Guernsey, Channel Islands.
Flower Shape - Cup-shaped - flowers 20-30cm (8-12in) across with 9-12 tepals
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers - lemon fragrance.
Seasonal Interest - Autumn
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Neutral to alkaline soil - suitable for chalk
Tree Shape - Broadly conical
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning small & large shoots below the graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scraping deadwood to see if alive - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Short Video Tip ondemand_video
- Slug Protection - Longer Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Best yellow magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Caerhays Belle'
- Magnolia campbellii 'Alba' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia insignis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Lanarth' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Peachy' and 'Daybreak' Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Tikitere' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Tropicana' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Michelia foveolata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Michelia macclurei - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video