- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Deciduousbright-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long.
WhiteWhite flowers from pink buds.
FruitPlants which produce an edible or ornamental fruitOvoid, orange and red fruit to 3cm (1¼in) long.
TreeNarrow, upright tree.
Zero Rated ItemNo VAT on this plant
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Partial shadeTolerated but full sun preferred
MALUS 'John Downie'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowProduces preserves and jelly with good flavour. An excellent pollinator for other apples. Wildlife plant - birds, bees and other insectsPests & DiseasesAphids, red spider mite, caterpillars, apple scab, honey fungus, canker, mildewPlace of originThomas Blaikie's nursery which is now the site of Edinburgh Zoo, Corstorphine Hill.
Flower ShapeCup-shapedShallowly cup-shapedSingleRow of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilModerately fertile preferred
Tree ShapeBroadly conicalConical
WildlifeBee friendlyBird friendly
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video