- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
DeciduousOblong to oval, toothed, light bluish-green leaves 15-30cm (6-12in) long, heart-shaped at the base.
BlueOr purple with yellow stamens.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Sometimes short-lived perennial.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Seeds may be available, check buying options below.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowSoil should be open enough to prevent stagnation and rot in winter. Less likely to be monocarpic (dying after first flowering) if flowering is prevented until several crowns have formedPests & DiseasesSlugs, snails, downy mildew.Place of originTibet, southwestern China, Burma. Discovered by French missionary Jean Marie Delavay. First viable seed brought back to UK by Frank Kingdon-Ward (1885-1958) in 1924.
Flower ShapeSaucer-shaped8-10cm (3-4in) across.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilModerately fertile. Humus-richNeutral to acid soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of MECONOPSIS baileyi
purple blue flowers